Let's brainstorn.. My chess / checkers set


 I have been pondering the design. Well idea of making my own style of a chess set. 

    The first is... I will make my own way and style. Because, I love creating new things and making my own work. There is nothing written that say "A chess set only can be made one way." Yes there is themes that I could find. There is general piece ideas. I have seen some magical sort of things. Now, would my own way and style be reinventing the game. I don't know, it would depend on what I come up with. It would also depend on your definition of "reinventing." 

Of course, before I can get that far I need to figure out some fundamentals of the project. The first is what am I making.

The needed pieces: 

    2 sets; 1 king, 1 queen, 2 bishops, 2 knights, 2 rooks. 

    The next of course is the board itself. Which of course needs 8x8 squares with a boarder. 

The project size: Do I use the common measurements found online. Or do I make it my own size. As I have been pondering the project. Possible inspiration or "CRAZYINESS" I have a circle blank which is about 5inches in diameter. I was like "should I instead make checker pieces enlarged." Which is still possible?  Of course that would change how the board itself would or could be made. Because with an enlarged set, it has to fit the rule of functional and "convenient" A large board would be a problem to store. Especially the different proportions between the piece size and square of the board. I thought, I could "crochet" the board pattern. Doing the math which is could be a blanket and the board if you want to play. Haven't put alot of thought into the checkers idea. Plus, crochet does take alot of work. Which could trigger my boredom and lose focus before I finish the project.  

Back to the chess set adventure. 

The board style is pretty open. I have some ideas. The current hold up with finding a piece of wood which I want to use. I drew out an idea which would have a space between each block. The increases the size of course. Now its the adventure of also finding a piece of wood. The design is still flexible. 

Instead of trying to make "the same pieces" I will make them "sisters" So the pawn equivalent would look similar but have some variety. 

How to tell the difference between each side?

    I could use different wood, but the same for each side. Which would increase the cost and difficult to find the wood I want to use. The difficult would increase to know the amount needed in the right size. My next option, which I probably will go with is. Same wood, just stain different colors. Which is still on the table. 

    I had the other idea of doing like HEARTS verse DIAMONDS. This gives the ability to tell the difference between pieces. Well kind of. This idea gives potential to design my own players, have them be "the same" but different. And make it "my own style." 

I do have the option, but we shall see what I decide is. Making my own pieces I could make my own rules of how the pieces would / could move. I might make it so you could play the game "the regular chess" or "my version."  Do I have a timeline for finishing this project. Nope. Before trying / even starting this crazy idea. I know, to be patience and look at each fundamental step. I also know there is no rush to "get this finished as fast as possible." I am creating my own chess / checker journey potential. I am keeping the motivation to "get close to start making." Because I cant make something without a plan. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Videos

I had no idea, no plan, but didn't let that stop me

I have to... I have to have... But do you